Browse forward plans
The forward plan of key decisions and Notice of any intention to meet in private
What is it?
The Forward Plan is a list of forthcoming decisions to be taken by Medway Council’s Leader and Cabinet and any key decisions to be taken by the South Thames Gateway Building Control Joint Committee or an officer under the Council’s executive arrangements. Subject to urgency provisions, the law requires the Council to give at least 28 clear days notice ahead of any key decision being taken under executive arrangements so that local people know about them and have an opportunity to read the related report and background papers and submit their views to the decision-maker.
The Forward Plan is always available for public inspection at Chatham Community Hub and also on the Council’s website via this webpage; please click on the newest plan listed below to find the details about the decision you are interested in, including:
- the expected date when the decision will be taken and the identity if the decision maker; this will usually be the Cabinet but may be a Joint Committee or an officer of the Council;
- a list of the reports and background papers to be considered by the decision maker before the final decision is taken and how and when you may see copies of these;
- the procedure for submitting other documents to the decision maker for consideration and how to see copies of additional documents submitted (if any).
What is a key decision?
It is a decision which is likely to:
- result in the Council incurring expenditure which is, or the making of savings which are, significant having regard to the Council’s budget for the service or function to which the decision relates or;
- be significant in terms of its effects on communities living or working in an area comprising two or more wards in Medway.
Notice to meet in private
The Forward Plan also provides notice of when the Cabinet may decide to exclude the press and public from part of a meeting due to the disclosure of confidential or exempt information and the reasons for this. In these cases Members of the Council and the public may make representations about why a matter should be considered in public by writing to the Head of Democratic Services on 01634 332509 or via email: email@example.com The Leader and Cabinet will publish a response to any representations received and, where applicable, further notice of an intention to discuss the matter in private at least five clear days before the Cabinet meeting.
Where it has not been possible to meet the 28 day rule for publication of notice of a key decision or an intention to meet in private the relevant notices will be published in the Forward Plan as soon as possible with a reason for late notification.
Cabinet meetings are held every four weeks at Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham. Members of the public are welcome to attend these meetings on the dates shown in the calendar of meetings.