This report will provide details of the motion agreed by Council on 25 April 2019 as follows:
This Council (therefore):
· Declares a climate emergency;
· Notes that current targets are inadequate to respond to the challenge of keeping global temperature rises below 1.5c.
This Council requests that:
· Cabinet establish a Medway Climate Change Working Group to respond to this challenge, which meets in public and includes representation from all party groups, in order to create a clear action plan for Medway;
· Cabinet set more ambitious targets for Medway to become carbon neutral;
· The Chief Executive to write to the Chancellor of the Exchequer stating the concern of the Council with respect to the above, the likely national impact on the economy and on the wellbeing of citizens, and requesting government funding be made available to implement swift appropriate actions in response.
Access to Information
The report together with any other documents being considered (unless they contain exempt information) will be available for inspection 5 clear days before the decision is taken by the Cabinet. Copies are available on the Council's website or requested from Democratic Services Medway Council, Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent, ME4 4TR or email email@example.com If you wish to submit information to the Cabinet about the item please also contact Democratic Services.
Decision type: Key
Decision status: For Determination
Notice of proposed decision first published: 13/05/2019
Decision due: 9 Jul 2019 by Cabinet
Lead member: Councillor Howard Doe, Deputy Leader and Portfolio Holder for Housing and Community Services firstname.lastname@example.org
Lead director: Richard Hicks
Department: Regeneration, Culture, Environment and Transformation
Contact: Ruth Du-Lieu, Assistant Director, Front Line Services Email: email@example.com Tel: (01634) 331113.
Relevant Overview and Scrutiny Committee:: Regeneration, Culture and Environment