Issue - meetings

Property Matter - Sunlight Centre, Gillingham

Meeting: 26/07/2022 - Cabinet (Item 6)

6 Granting a New Lease for the Sunlight Centre pdf icon PDF 170 KB

Additional documents:




This report sought delegated authority from Cabinet, so that officers could grant a lease or leases at the Sunlight Centre Richmond Road Gillingham to the Sunlight Development Trust.


The Sunlight Centre was occupied partly by the Medway Council Family Contact Centre (25.5%) and the larger remaining part (74.5%) as shown edged black on the attached plan at Appendix A to the report, by the Sunlight Development Trust (SDT) under a 20- year lease that would expire on the 8 December 2022.


The report explained that the reletting of the Sunlight Centre, would secure the future of the facility, without the need for the Council to run the facility itself, avoiding additional staffing and running costs and would enable the continuation of the community facility.


It was noted that the recommendation, as set out at paragraph 10.1 to the report, had been amended to include the Leader of the Council in the proposed delegated authority.








The Cabinet agreed to delegate authority to the Director of Place and Deputy Chief Executive, in consultation with the Leader of the Council and the Portfolio Holder for Resources, to grant a lease or leases to the Sunlight Development Trust (SDT) at the Sunlight Centre on the best terms reasonably obtainable in the circumstances.




Letting of the Sunlight Centre to SDT will enable a valuable community facility to continue.